Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Predictions

I wanted to do a really cool prediction post for the Champions League, but I'm going to do this instead. Besides, predictions are difficult to make interesting since at the end of the day all they are is pure subjective speculation, so what's the point in putting effort into them?

With regards the ties I care about, here are my thoughts. I think Inter Milan will once again be shown up for the second rate team that they are, and will be beaten comprehensively by United over the two legs. Tonight's game might be tight, but I expect United to win comfortably at Old Trafford, so I'm gonna say 4-1 on aggregate.

Liverpool will probably lose tonight, but I think they may just scrape though over the two legs. Ramos says that he's looking for 3 goals at home, and if they get them (and there is a decent chance of this happening) then of course they will probably go through. But anything less and I'd fancy Liverpool. Anfield, European night, etc etc.

Chelsea will go through with ease. I just can't see Juventus posing them any real problems. Why? Conjecture, that's why.

Arsenal v Roma depends a lot on tonight and what kind of Arsenal show up. They can't score in the league, so if this form translates to Europe then they're screwed...obviously. Also, they're young midfield could be extremely nervous without the cool head of Fabregas to steady the ship. To be honest I wouldn't be confident with any prediction for this match, so in the words of Dunphy, "I'm not gonna spoof ya, Bill".

Barcelona will lose to Lyon tonight. There, I said it. This could arguably be the tie of the round, but over the two legs I expect Barca will go through, with an aggregate score of 9-8 or something like that.

And as for eventual winners, try Arsenal on for size. They may not get past Roma, but if they do they will have some important players returning thereafter, and could end up putting all their eggs into the Champions League sponsored basket. If you are so inclined, 16/1 looks a tasty bet, especially considering that 4 of United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Lyon, Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus will be no more come the next round.

No comments: