Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If They're Anything Like Last Night's...

After two pretty excellent quarter-finals yesterday, I have to first of all say that I was very wrong to completely dismiss Porto's chances against United (even though about 15 minutes prior to dismissing them I said that they had a chance of possibly causing an upset against whoever they drew). I also can't wait for tonight's games! Liverpool have become an interesting team to watch, and I have a sneaky feeling we could be in for a cracker tonight. But even if I'm way off, there is always Barcelona against Bayern to lean on. Two teams who have very little interest and capabilities in the defense, but a range of top attacking talent. Well, Bayern have Ribery (who for the record I'm not entirely convinced of yet, but admittedly I haven't seen much of him) and Barcelona have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o and Henry. I'll be interested to see how the latter two get on since I have expressed doubt about them before. Still, I don't expect those doubts to be realised until Barcelona face a good defense, so we shall have to wait until a possible semi-final to see if I'm right or wrong.

Like last night I'll be watching one game on the television and one on the computer. It is hard not to focus on one game, but it's a decent system nonetheless. Anyway, I'm off to waste time until 7pm, at which point I hope to hear what Dunphy -- RTE's "student of the Spanish game" -- has to say about Barcelona. Hopeless at the back, magic up front I'm guessing. For once I think legitimate students of the Spanish game might just agree with him.

As an aside, one of the many reasons why I love Dunphy -- who else would coin the phrase "the Ronaldo disease"? -- is that he loves Iniesta. Most people do at this stage but Dunphy has done for quite a while now, so kudos for that.

No comments: