Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Angry, Self-Righteous Rant

Supporters can be so fickle.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there was a little story involving Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid during the summer. It was fairly low key so it mostly flew below the radar, but the gist of it was that no sooner than Ronaldo had won the Champions League, he was knee deep in speculation about him moving too Madrid, largely because he wouldn't hush it.

As the summer progressed, more and more ridiculous things were emanating from the Bernabeu, chief of which being Calderon's claim that Madrid would be honoured to have Ronaldo on their team. Honoured!? Ronaldo did what any self-respecting footballer would do of course - he continued to fuel the speculation by remaining largely silent, saying only that he would announce his future plans after the European Championships.

Well, having massively underperformed in the game that saw Portugal crash out, Ronaldo's moment to set the record straight and clear up all this nonsense from Calderon came, and he took the opportunity with both hands by saying that he desperately wanted to move to Madrid and was just waiting on United and Real to settle the monetary issues (with the figures being thrown around more closely resembling a GDP than the price of a slave footballer).

To cut a long and painful story short, Ronaldo didn't get his dream move, because United would rather have left him rot in the stands than sell him. Doesn't that just sound like a lovely club to be a member of?

My point here is that Ronaldo had seemingly no regard for what United have done for him. If it wasn't for Ferguson, he'd be another Queresma, and that's not a good thing. It didn't seem to bother him in the least that he'd be moving away from the club that made him who he is. Had United accepted a bid, he would have been out the door before you could say 'arrogant tool'. He treated the club like dirt, and the only reason - the only reason - he's still there is because Ferguson is the most stubborn man alive.

My question is, what kind of fan reaction should a man like Ronaldo get? A man who considers himself a slave; a man who displays not an iota of loyalty to his club? Well, judging by tonights game against Villarreal, such a man should be applauded when he warms up, and cheered without hesitation when he steps onto the pitch.

The only conclusion to be gained from such a reaction is that fans can be so fickle, so hypocritical, that it makes me wonder what supporting a club really means to anyone.

If you really loved a club and everything it stood for, you wouldn't want someone like Ronaldo at it, no matter how many goals he scores. You see, if all you care about is your club winning, then that's basically saying that all you care about is you winning. You don't care about integrity, you don't care about the means by which something is done - you just care about winning. Why? So you can feel good about yourself and the team you somehow chose to 'support'. If an uncommitted, disloyal person helps you to achieve that goal, then so be it - applaud him onto the pitch, cheer him as he runs up and down the touchline, go wild when he scores another 'surprising' header. It doesn't matter. He makes you feel good after a game, and that's all that counts.

I don't mean to sound on a high horse here (actually, I kind of do), and I'm certainly not painting all fans with the same brush. But if you support a certain team, ask yourself why? Why do you want to see them win? (and saying 'because I support them' is not an adequate answer).

Maybe disloyalty and non-commitment are things that you can tolerate. Maybe you justify that toleration by claiming to care so much about a team that you're willing to forgive those traits so long as the person in question helps your team to win games. Well to that, I would say that you're not a fan of a club - you're a fan of winning, with the club being the means by which you yourself win. There's of course nothing wrong with that. I love winning as much as the next man. But to truly love a club and be a fan has to mean more than just seeing them win at all costs. If it doesn't, then what's the point?

Ronaldo will, in all likelihood, score in a coming game and kiss his shirt badge or something silly like that. Many United fans may rejoice in that moment, but I'll just take a few minutes to be thankful for the fact that I don't support a club, and therefore I don't have to embrace nonsense like that. And honestly, I really pity those who do.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

man you are obsessed!!!

anyway i'll tell you why they were cheering for them because he helped to win 2 trophies last year and he played some beautiful football and scored some, sorry many beautiful goals....

who are you to be talkin about supporting a club anyway???
u were a villa fan and then u did the unthinkable for any loyal football fan and switched to support another club.....a better club.... who win more games than villa....

Dec said...

First off Ronaldo only scored a handful of beautiful goals last year. Out of the 41 (or whatever it was),if you can show me more than 5 beautiful goals id be impressed.

Anyway, thats beside the point. My point in the post being that people who support a club can be so fickle, and that im glad i DONT support a club. Honestly, I never really have. At least not in the sense that I see the word anyway.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DNevzquYg


theres what somebody thinks to be ronaldos top 10 goals from last season.... 4 of them are free kicks which i wouldnt put in a top10 if i was making it but even at that they are beautiful...if someone like fabregas scored those goals u would be saying how beautiful they were etc....ronaldo makes the defender look a whole lot worse than they actually are and then finishes it off with a lovely strike to find the net from some tough positions... if you dont think they are beautiful goals there is something wrong with you...
show me 5 goals that fabregas scored that are more beautiful than those goals....

Anonymous said...

"Cristiano has incredible speed, skill and trickery, strength, heading ability and scored 42 goals last season," he says. "Show me another player with those attributes." ruud gullit

i challenge you to just that!!!

Dec said...

Your last point kind of became null and void when you included the words 'ruud gullit' at the end.

I hate to say it Aine, but your almost proving my point for me.

By way of reply (I do like to reply to my avid fans), I havent brought Ronaldo's ability into question, though I will look at those goals some time. In any case, Im not sure where Cesc Fabregas fits into all of this. I've never said that he scores more beautiful goals than Ronaldo does. I just feel like you're attacking the wrong post. When I write something that states that Fabregas is way better than Ronaldo and scores much more beautiful goals, then feel free to disagree. But when I write that Ronaldo is disloyalty personified, then thats what you should be focusing on.

In case you think Im out on my own, have a listen to the following:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2008/sep/18/footballweekly

Listen especially at 9 minutes. BY the way, I wrote my piece before this podcast was posted, just in case you think I copied.

Dec said...

I've watched 10-7. No 'beautiful' goals so far. 10 was nice but nothing special. The free kick was nice too, but the other two were deflections coupled with horrible defending. Lets see how the next few go....

Dec said...

6-4 consisted of 2 free kicks, which while good goals, are not something I get too excited about Im afraid. And considering he takes so damn many of them, he has quite a poor scoring ratio. The goal where he flicked the ball inside and scored to the far corner is probably the only one Id get excited about, but even thats pushing it.

Dec said...

# 3 was another deflection, #2 was I guess beautiful, though a little too instinctive and lucky (in terms of getting through the crowd) for me, and #1 was another free-kick, though an excellent one at that.

overall, Im honestly not too excited by that video. Maybe other blog readers (aka Niall) are, but not me. And no, I probably cant show you a Fabregas compilation to top it in terms of goals, but you can be damn sure Id show you a better one in terms of beautiful football. but then youtube clips arent the be all and end all, so it would be slightly redundant.

Anonymous said...

overall, Im honestly not too excited by that video. Maybe other blog readers (aka Niall) are, but not me.

maybe they get more excited than you do beacuse they arent as one sided in their views...
i think ronaldo is an absolute tool but i also think he is an incredible football player and i give him the credit he deserves when he scores beautiful goals and plays beauitful football...

i hate didier drogba for some of the same reasons you hate ronaldo...but not to the extent that i'm completely blinded to his quality like you are with ronaldo.... when drogba does something special,and he has done plenty, i will say the very second i see it "aw that was unreal"...when ronaldo does something special i do the same and the same story with any other player... however when ronaldo does something clearly special you say nothing...that is the main thing that annoys me.... you seem to have completely different standards for different players.... i think if cesc or messi did some of the things ronaldo does you would sing their praise but when ronaldo does them it as if you're too proud to actually concede that ronaldo actually did something brilliant..

Dec said...

Again, you're going off base. All im saying in the last few comments is that I dont find those particular goals very exciting. It all comes down to opinion at the end of the day, and I just dont find those things very appealing.

To show that Im not biased, I dont particularly like when any youtube compilation shows Fabregas's goals (and he did score some very nice ones last season). They just dont hold much appeal to me, and they're not the criteria by which I (me, Declan) judge whether a player is brilliant or not. I'd be happy to watch an hour long compilation of Zidane and not see him score ONE goal, and the same goes for Fabregas.

Also, can you actually point out one statement that shows im 'blinded' to Ronaldo's quality? You're jumping into the realm of making things up when you say something like that.

Furthermore, why would I want to deny good football? I love good football, no matter WHO produces it. When Ronaldo does something I like, I dont deny it or pretend it didnt happen. I just feel like you've created for me a persona that thinks Ronaldo is the worst player ever, and now you're defending Ronaldo against that fake persona. However, if you read what I've written carefully, very little of what you're saying will make sense in this context.

Also, listen to that link I gave you if you havent already. THATS what the point of this post was in the first place! Not Ronaldo, but the fans.

Anonymous said...

i made my point about your blog and moved on after YOU commented on ronaldo not scoring beautiful goals u need to keep up dec!

anyway here is my point....

lets just say we are watchin man utd vs arsenal and ronaldo does something brilliant so naturally i make a comment on how brilliant it was but you just shrug your shoulders and say nothing...but when cesc does something whether it be better or worse than what ronaldo just did u would be like "aw did u just see that? what fabregas did? it was amazing" and talk about it for about ten mins...but ronaldo only gets a shrug of the shoulders...

i just think for someone who claims to love football you should compliment ronaldo when he does something amazing, just like i compliment that jackass drogba when he soes something brilliant...

now only respond to this comment and try defend yourself by sayin: thats not what i meant in my blog etc.... basically you cant deny doung what i said above... if u do u will be lying..