Thursday, September 4, 2008

Real Men Cry


I just came across the following quote from Man City's new bargain buy Robinho. To give it some backstory, earlier in the week Madrid's astoundingly retarded President Ramon Calderon* came out saying that Robinho cried when he asked for a move to Chelsea. That sounds kind of ridiculous, doesn't it? Crying over a transfer? Well obviously this was quite the claim to make on Calderon's part. I mean if something like this was said about me and it was completely untrue, then whoever said it would be staring at the business end of a hissy fit, that's for sure.

So naturally enough Robinho really had come out strong and rubbish these claims. Pele has even made it known that he thinks Robinho is emotionally unstable, so Robinho really had little option but to set the record straight, and be the umpteenth person to prove Pele wrong. Here's an excerpt from his interview where he attempted to do so:

"I cried when he didn't let me play at the Olympics and you can check that by asking him. I didn't cry to quit."

Oh dear, Rob. I actually think crying over the Olympics is worse than crying over a move out of Madrid. It almost brings to mind a 15 year old girl who is told she can't go to the youth disco, so she goes up to her room and sobs for hours on end. If I were Robinho, I'd have just stuck with Calderon's story instead of coming out with the truth. I just love the way he says "and you can check that by asking him" so defiantly, as if what he's just told us clears his good name. Too funny.

The lesson here is that if you, like Pele, make an obscene amount of statements and predictions, then by the law of averages at least one of them will be right. In this case, Pele has it spot on - Robinho really is a nut case. My advice to Mark Hughes - always let Robinho go to the youth disco, but make sure you give him strict rules to follow, because after all, that's what children want - bounderies.


* I put a star beside Calderon's name because I just figured out how this whole Ronaldo saga is going to be solved next summer. Since Ferguson and Calderon are basically fighting over who loves Ronaldo more, I reckon they're both going to stand in a room with Ronaldo and do the following: Ferguson will call Ronaldo, Calderon will call Ronaldo, and then they'll see who he goes to. Given the way Ferguson and Calderon have behaved up to now, I can actually imagine this scene in my head, and let me tell you, it's as disturbing as it reads.

No comments: