Sunday, October 5, 2008

Barca and Torres


The best central midfielder in the world today?


There is just so much to write about concerning the beautiful game this weekend that I'm not sure what to focus on - the Pro Evo 2009 demo? Arsenal dropping more points against inferior opponents? Tottenham being genuine relegation candidates? So much to choose from, so little time to write about it all.

I'll pick out the two things that struck me the most, starting with Barcelona v Athetico last night. In case you don't know, Barca won that game 6-1, going 3-0 up after 8 minutes. In a word, they were phenomenal. The quartet consisting of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Eto'o was just breathtaking at times. Each of them had moments that would adorn the most silky of games.

Xavi bringing the ball down with his foot (which was almost at head height), knocking it by a player, and then playing Henry though on goal. Iniesta cutting inside and curling a stunning shot off the post, Messi dribbling by 3 players and chipping the ball over Coupet, only to see his shot go just wide, and Eto'o chesting a ball down, dummying both the defender and goalkeeper, and slotting it home for his second of the night.

Rarely have I seen a team out-play another team like this. I mean we're talking Argentina v Serbia here. If Barca really wanted to, they could have scored 10. It was the kind of performance they threaten against most teams but never actually deliver. The kind of performance that should see them installed as favourites for La Liga (if they weren't aready), and genuine contenders for the Champions League (their defense is too abysmal to make them favourites). Their attacking options are unrivaled by any club in the world. In Xavi, they possess arguably the best central midfield player in the world today (can anyone name someone better?), in Messi and Iniesta they possess the best duo of wingers, and between Eto'o and Henry they possess enough firepower to cause most defenses problems (though I would still have a few question marks over Eto'o and his penchant for wastefulness).

Athletico were horrible, make no mistake about that. But Barcelona played some exquisite football nonetheless. It was a masterclass of footballing beauty you might say.

The other thing I want to talk about is Torres. And more specifically, me not liking him that much. I have nothing against him personally of course. I just don't see what everyone else sees in him.

I mean Benitez came out today and basically said he's the best player in the world. After 2 goals today to bring Liverpool back to 2-2 against City you might be inclined to think Rafa is on to something, but don't let those goals fool you. Torres was woeful in the first half, and not much better in the second. Can a player score 2 goals and still be bad? I think so.

I just don't get very excited when Torres plays. For me, he loses the ball too often, and there's nothing I hate more in a player than an inclination to surrender possession cheaply. You can score all the goals you want, but if you keep giving the ball away when you're not putting it in the back of the net, I won't like you very much. This is just my personal opinion. I know it's not shared by many, but I wanted to make it known.

Watching a player like Xavi, or Iniesta, or Fabregas gives me much greater pleasure than watching someone who scores goals, but doesn't do a whole lot else. Torres is a good player, no question. I just don't think he's as good as people make him out to be. From what I saw of Spain this summer, David Villa was actually the more complete striker of the two. But, you know - since Torres plays in the Premier League, he must be better. I mean, look at how much Deco has improved since he came to England [???].

Regardless of my personal feelings for Torres' game, he must be applauded for his sublime instincts inside the box, and for getting Liverpool out of jail against City today. That was a vital win - not just for the 3 points, but also as a show of character, and a warning to the other teams that they are title contenders this year. This season is shaping up to be better than last, and if Arsenal don't buck up they could find themselves out of the race by Christmas. You heard it here first.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Torres is a better central midfielder than Xavi.