Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hold Me

Tony Adams receiving the 'Harry treatment'

I just have to say, I'm quite tired of hearing all of the sentimental sewage emanating from White Heart Lane in recent weeks. Each and every one of the Tottenham players should be ashamed of themselves for the way they began the season, and we should be hearing nothing other than their bitter cries of regret when they talk to the press. I don't care if Juande Ramos told them to step onto the field and do the Macarena for 90 minutes, that doesn't excuse their 'woe is me' performances. They virtually sulked their way into getting a new manager by putting in half-hearted displays, which is about as professional as refusing to play for the club that pays your wages (the spirit of Dimitar Berbatov was well and truly alive even after his departure from the Lane).

Of course we all know how the story went - Harry came in, and suddenly Spurs started winning, and more importantly, started being incredibly lucky. One can't help but wonder, what is the big secret to his success? Why the amazing turn around? What kind of tactics are at the heart of this revival? Well, judging by what has been said over and over again, I think it can be summed up in one lame, cliched phrase - "an arm around the shoulder". Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, tacticians!? Here are some possible quotes from various Tottenham players which support Harry's tactile approach to management:

"I didn't have a clue what Juande was asking me to do, but Harry came in and put his arm around me and told me I was a fantastic player, and that gave me the belief I needed." - Darren Bent

"We have a lot of young players, so we needed someone like Harry to come in and put his arm around our shoulders and instill some confidence in us." - Jermaine Jenas

"I was feeling a bit down, but Harry came in and put his arm around my shoulder. He told me my hair didn't look silly, and that he even found me quite attractive." - David Bentley


"When Juande was here, he kept on telling me how fat I was. But Harry came in, put his arms around my stomach, and told me I wasn't that fat at all. It meant a lot to me." - Tom Huddlestone


"As soon as Harry came in, he put his arm around my shoulder and told me I was the best player he has ever seen. Then he started whispering sweet nothings in my ear, which to be honest I found a little uncomfortable, but that's just Harry's style." - Gareth Bale


"Harry told me I was rubbish, and that if I didn't do better I'd be sold. But he said those things while he had his arm around me, which made it easier to take." - Heurelio Gomes
(At least we know there's a limit to Harry's adulations)

Basically, if the Spurs players are to be believed, Harry Redknapp came in to the dressing room on his first day and said "Group hug!!". Then he went around and told each of the players that they are fantastic, and hey presto, a win! However, this begs the question, how fragile are the Tottenham players' egos? From what I've heard in interviews, it sounds as if they each have the mentality of a particularly sensitive teenage girl, constantly looking for validation and approval. "Does my hair look OK?", "Do these boots match my shorts?", "Does my manager love me?". It's all rather pathetic really, which is why I think that it won't last. The marriage between the players and Redknapp has been consummated, no question, but once the sparks begin to dwindle I sense that the spirit of Dimitar Berbatov/Hannah Montana will kick in, and Tottenham will be back to square one again.

Of course Harry wasn't brought in to make Spurs a Champions League club. He was brought in for one reason, and that is to keep Spurs in the Premier League. He will manage that without any problems, so fair play to him for that, and fair play to the Spurs hierarchy who humbled themselves enough to bring in a relegation expert with a penchant for hugs. But if Tottenham have got any ambitions to go beyond being a bitter disappointment of a club, their players will have to grow a collective pair and start acting like professionals.

No comments: