Friday, March 20, 2009

The Draw

I can't wait for this draw. I mean that. I've literally stopped waiting and started writing this post in order to pass the time. While there are clearly a "big 5" in the draw, I think all eight of the teams have a reasonable -- though not equal -- chance of progress into the semis. Porto have got a decent midfield and forward line, though their defense is pretty woeful. But against a team which doesn't like to take the attacking initiative such as Liverpool and Villarreal I think Porto could do alright. Underdogs against whoever they meet? Yes, but they shouldn't be entirely useless like their compatriots in the last round. And if nothing else, it's always fun to watch a guy called 'Hulk' play. Seriously. They have a 'Hulk' on their team.

Villarreal have yet to lose to United in four outings, so they are no pushovers. I saw them against Barcelona before Christmas and they really should have won, with poor finishing letting them down. They are a technically proficient team, and should be a match for anyone. Will they win the competition? Most likely not, but they could well cause an upset if drawn against one of the big 5, and if they avoid them then I'd make them one of the favourites to get into the semi-finals, and who knows what can happen then...

Bayern are an unknown quantity. How much can you really tell about a team who wins 12-1 over two games? I can't profess to have seen a full a game of theirs -- which is largely the reason that they are "unknown" -- but I do know some of their players and on their day they could cause some bother. What is worrying is that they are not top of the German League, but that could actually work out in their favour and boost their competitive spirit. Still, I don't rate Klinsmann as a tactical coach, and so they will probably get "played" by a Benitez or a Ferguson, but against Arsenal and Barcelona they could just go hell for leather and hope for the best.

The one thing that is guaranteed from this draw is that two of the big 5 will play each other, so we're in for at least one cracking game. I've just realised that in about 15 minutes this post will be utterly meaningless, but whatever, I now only have 15 minutes to waste. Facebook here I come...


No comments: