Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nine Tenths of the Law

I've only seen the goal once, but Barcelona's second goal against Almeria looked pretty special. The finish was lucky, but what went before it was nothing of the sort. They had just scored their first, and soon after they must have kept the ball for about two minutes. This passage of prolonged possession ended with Dani Alves surging towards the box and flicking the ball inside to Messi. Messi then rolled the ball back to Iniesta, who delightfully tipped the ball to the onrushing Alves, and the Brazilian laid it off to Bojan, who luckily squeezed the ball into the net with the aid of a deflection. It was just one of those passages of play that make you love the game of football, and more specifically, the football that this Barcelona team exhibts more often than not. I'll try and post a youtube link when there is a fitting one available.

Ps - Iniesta is one of the top 5 players in the world. Discuss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit I haven't seen Iniesta as much as I should have given my penchant for homes away from home in the last couple of years but if you're suggesting Iniesta is in the top 5 then I presume Xavi and Messi are also in the top 5. Therefore are you suggesting Barca have 3 of the top 5 players? I'm not informed enough to lend an opinion but it would be quite a proposal.

Dec said...

I might venture to say that Iniesta is a better player than Xavi. I'm not sure however. So for me I think Barcelona may just have 3 of the top 5 players in the world. These are subjective lists of course, but there is a good case to be made for mine. As for the other two players...I really don't know. A fully fit Essien perhaps?