Tuesday, May 5, 2009

No way. Just No Way.

Given that the score is only one nil this may seem slightly odd, but my feeling about tonight's game is that it is a tad irrelevant. I honestly cannot see Arsenal coming away with a sufficient win. United may have only scored one last week, but all the signs point to the fact that they are more than capable of adding to that at the Emirates. People may point to Arsenal beating them back in November as hope for the Gunners, but analysis of that game is hardly titled in Arsenal's favour. I can recall United having several gilt-edged chances, which on another day would have seen them bag about three goals. All of this leads me to believe that United will score at least one goal chez Gunners, meaning Arsenal will need to score at least three. No way. Just no way.

Despite my pessimistic outlook, Wenger still has to give his team the best possible chance of proving me -- and most others -- wrong. There is an Arsenal team that will fail miserably, and an Arsenal team that will run United close. The former includes Diaby on the left and Cesc in the supporting striker role. The latter looks like this:

...............................................Almunia......................................................

Sagna....................Toure...................Djourou.................................Gibbs


Walcott...............Fabregas..............Song........................................Nasri

............................van Persie......................................................................

.........................................................Adebayor...........................................


I don't claim that to be a flawless team. I have little time for Adebayor, I think Walcott is green and indisciplined, and the defense doesn't exactly scream "Impregnable". Still, in my mind it's Arsenal's best chance of upsetting the odds. Should United decide not to turn up for one reason or another then this is a team that can make them pay. However, in the semi-final of a Champions League I don't expect any mistakes from the Red Devils.

This is a cliche, and to say that it's a cliche for a reason is a cliche, and to say that saying it is a cliche for a reason is a cliche, but the first goal is just so important it's hard to overstate it. The simple fact is that if Arsenal get it then the tie is all square, but if United get it then Arsenal need three unanswered goals. What a difference a goal makes, eh? Because of this I find it almost impossible to see anything but a Man Utd triumph. It may be close, it may be decided by a late goal, but one way or another it's got to be United for me.

4 comments:

Manuman said...

dec, I as much as I admire your false humility, and your accurate reading of the situation, I must confess I am dubious.Arsenal, have noting to lose, and everything to gain. Wenger knows that if he can get inside their skins, and ge to
play with freedom and abandonment, without fear, anything is possible.
Remember Deportivo against AC MIlan a few years ago. Beware of the wounded tiger.It could be 4 all..you make the tea, if they lose...Dad.

Dec said...

Arsenal have as much to lose as United - a place in the final. You could actually argue that they have more to lose, since getting knocked out would mean no trophy for four seasons, whereas United getting knocked out means only three trophies this season.

You're mentioning of Depor is apt, because I would be almost as shocked if Arsenal get through as I was when Depor got through. No joke (not that that's even remotely funny).

Niall said...

Wow. Arsenal showed you, Dermot.

Gav said...

I want the pre game Barca v Chelsea blog. I can't see there not being at least 3 goals. With Barca missing 3 CBs and also fresh off spanking Madrid it could be special. I think Barca to go through on away goals.