Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No Dice

A few hours after my previous post in which I urged Kaka to resist City's seduction, it was announced that the Brazilian maestro is staying in Milan. Coincidence?

Very much so, but still. I can dream...

Kaka's decision not to join the richest club in the world will possibly have as much future impact as a decision to join would have had. If he moved to City, one can only assume that a few other very good players would have joined him, thinking "Well if it's good enough for Kaka..." However, now that he has decided not to leave he will most likely be praised for his loyalty and willingness to forfeit incredibly large piles of cash. Given this praise, will other big name players want to face the ridicule of failing to do what Kaka did?

I think that Kaka's decision was always going to set a trend, and unfortunately -- from a Manchester City perspective -- it's not going to be a promising one. Well, at least they got Craig Bellamy....[???]

I think that the only way of salvaging this situation is for the Abu Dhabi group to sack Hughes and bring in a big name manager. That sounds a bit harsh and knee-jerkish, but I think we all know it's inevitable, so the sooner the better in my opinion, before Man City's squad starts to consist largely of mid-table standard Premier League players...and Nigel de Jong, about whom I know absolutely nothing. I remember a John de Jong however, who was quite good in one (or several) of the old Championship Manager games, but that's neither here nor there.

Finally, with Kaka refusing City, does this mean Arsenal's plans of signing Arshavin will come undone? I don't think I'm taking a wild stab in the dark by saying that there's a good chance Man City will make a move for the Russian playmaker, but will he want to involve himself in a relegation fight? Very intriguing times ahead indeed.

No comments: